- Grown Ups 2 reels in the LaughsPosted 5 months ago
- Deep Fried PaulaPosted 5 months ago
- Sorry Haters, Tiger Woods has ReturnedPosted 8 months ago
- Media Bias Exposed – The Rebuke of Dennis RodmanPosted 9 months ago
- The Robot ArtistsPosted 9 months ago
- So you want to be a Hip Hop MogulPosted 10 months ago
- TLC’s wins with Starter Wives ConfidentialPosted 11 months ago
- Dominican spice Carolina CatalinoPosted 11 months ago
- Curvy Chick – BET’s Lea Walker Speaks FitnessPosted 11 months ago
- A Haunted House Scores Big at Box OfficePosted 11 months ago
Sorry Haters, Tiger Woods has Returned
Tiger Woods is once again number one. The number one ranking golf player and the number one hated man in sports. Woods earned the crown with his win at the Arnold Palmer Invitational in Orlando, Florida last week and instead of cheering him on we are once again leering at him.We’re all familiar with his life.
Woods’ fall from grace was a storyline that tabloid magazines drool over. Following a car crash on Thanksgiving of 2009 that set off a series of events, we saw Woods’ world unravel, with one lie coming out of the closet after the next, a mistress popping up on the “Today” show here, a mistress popping up at Gloria Allred’s press conference there.
Woods’ dalliances cost him millions of dollars in endorsements, the respect and admiration of fans and his marriage to the mother of his two children. It also earned him a break from the sport and a brief stint at a rehab center for sex addicts. After some time off, it seemed as if Woods hit his stride again and is back on the mountaintop once again. This time he brings his new girlfriend Olympic skier Lindsay Vonn with him.
America normally loves a good comeback story. When a celebrity is on the top of the world, we love nothing more than to cheer as the rug is snatched out from under them only to applaud his or her triumphant return to his or her original status. When Woods was at his lowest, we reveled in his loss, watched the spectacle that was his jump-offs clamor for their 15 seconds of fame with enjoyment. So when Woods clawed his way back to his rightful spot as the number one man to wield a nine iron once again, why haven’t we gone nuts with jubilation? Instead we are mad at Woods. Yet again.
What stoked the flames of hate this time? Could it be the cheesy, prom-like portraits of Woods and Vonn that publicly announced their relationship? Maybe that had something to do with it but what really got America’s blood boiling was the Nike print ad that commemorated his return to number one status.
With five words, Woods and Nike marked his return to the throne all while reigniting the ‘We Hate Tiger Woods And His Arrogant Ass’ campaign. Believe it or not, most Americans never got over the fact that a Black man dominated a sport dominated by whites all while cheating on his beautiful, angelic blonde wife with a bevy of beauties, many of which were white. So to see him ranked number one again with yet another blonde beauty by his side, with a bit of aggrogance in the air instead of an ‘aww shucks, guys’ attitude has irritated America.
Which is sad because regardless of his personal life, Woods is arguably the best person to ever set foot on the greens. To hold him under a different magnifying glass than we hold to Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan or even Charlie Sheen or Robert Downey, Jr. isn’t fair. Woods has exuded mental toughness as he racked up win after win as in the face of injury and public scorn. True warriors never give up and for that alone he deserves some respect. So what he doesn’t accept the accolades with his tail tucked between his legs. He’s earned the right to be a bit cocky. He is number one. And in case we forgot, in Tiger’s world, ‘winning does take care of everything.’ Unfortunately, everything except public opinion.
- Tiger Woods reveals the secret to his return to form – new girlfriend Lindsey Vonn (metro.co.uk)
- Lindsey Vonn: Tiger Woods is Number 1!!!!!!!!!! (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Tiger Woods’ Nike ad gets social media communities talking (poll) (al.com)
- Tiger Woods, Lindsey Vonn Confirm They Are Dating (nesn.com)
- Kris Humphries and Lindsey Vonn Dating Prior to Her Dating Tiger Woods? (americanlivewire.com)