- Sorry Haters, Tiger Woods has ReturnedPosted 50 days ago
- Media Bias Exposed – The Rebuke of Dennis RodmanPosted 54 days ago
- The Robot ArtistsPosted 72 days ago
- So you want to be a Hip Hop MogulPosted 81 days ago
- TLC’s wins with Starter Wives ConfidentialPosted 111 days ago
- Dominican spice Carolina CatalinoPosted 125 days ago
- Curvy Chick – BET’s Lea Walker Speaks FitnessPosted 125 days ago
- A Haunted House Scores Big at Box OfficePosted 127 days ago
- Top 7 Black Films to see in 2013Posted 128 days ago
- The Adventures of EZ Pimp – The SalePosted 129 days ago
Kristen Stewart Cheating Exposes Double Standard
The presidential election is just a few short months away. The price of corn has gone up which means meat, poultry and dairy prices are sure to follow. Gas is on the rise yet again. Crime has gripped many parts of the country in the sweltering summer months.
What has really grabbed the attention of this nation is not one of the many woes we as a country face. No, we are consumed with the non-stop coverage of the Kristen Stewart cheating scandal.
For those of you who haven’t turned on a television or had wi-fi or avoided all magazines at the check-out lines in the supermarket in the last month, let me bring you up to speed:
Kristen Stewart was caught cheating on Robert Pattinson, her Twilight co-star boyfriend of three years. Stewart was busted red-handed by the paparazzi canoodling with her much older Snow White and the Huntsman director Rupert Sanders during a steamy rendezvous in Los Angeles last month. After news of the affair broke, on the front cover of US Weekly no less, a media frenzy has ensued with one gripping headline after another.
What amazes me about this story is not the fact that Stewart cheated on her boyfriend of three years. Pattinson is not the first person to nurse a broken heart and he will certainly not be the last; 50 percent of marriages end in divorce. I’m not amazed by the fact that after working closely on the set of Snow White and the Huntsman, Stewart and Sanders had an affair (it happens; hi, Brad. Hi, Angelina).
What baffles me is that Stewart is being vilified in the media. Talk about a double standard. She might as well have the scarlet letter ‘A’ on her dirty t-shirt. The poor girl is being dragged through the mud for all of us to see. There’s even an online retailer selling “Kristen Stewart Is A Trampire” t-shirts while Pattinson eats Ben & Jerry’s ice cream with Jon Stewart and Cinnamon Toast Crunch on Good Morning America.
Stewart cheated on her boyfriend. Not her husband, not the father of her children, not even her fiancé but her boyfriend. In no way shape or form am I condoning cheating but why wouldn’t the real villain in this story be Sanders? After all, the 44-year-old married director stepped outside of his vows and marriage to his wife of seven years.
Some could argue Sanders used his position of power to prey on the much younger and seemingly naïve Stewart. Why aren’t we hanging Sanders up by his fingernails for cheating on his wife and potentially breaking up his family? Men cheat all of the time and it is accepted by society. Sure, we chide them and make a few jokes during the opening monologues on late-night television but for the most part, men get away with it. Their careers are hardly affected by their indiscretions because it is accepted behavior.
Need a few names to prove my point?
Kobe Bryant. David Letterman.Arnold Schwarzenegger. Michael Jordan. Brad Pitt. Hugh Grant. Kelsey Grammer. Even former president Bill Clinton cheated while in office and it was chalked up to Bill being Bill. Had that been his wife Hillary, she could have been run out of D.C. with pitchforks, never to return again.
What happens in a relationship between two people is meant to be between those two people, no matter how popular their movies are, but when we start to judge and point fingers let’s remember what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Or what’s good for the mistress is good for the philanderer.
- Kristen Stewart Wants To Take A Naked Strip After Affair (hollywoodlife.com)
- How to Get Kristen Stewart’s Easy, Fresh Makeup Look (bellasugar.com)
- Robert Pattinson Set to Propose to Kristen Stewart Before Scandal Broke? (gossipcop.com)
- Teen Choice Awards: Kristen Stewart (fabsugar.com)
- Kristen Stewart Upset Because Blame for Affair Falls on Her (celebs.gather.com)